Skip to main content

Hablemos! A conversation with Profé Bill Denham


Today, we are honored to host a recognized professional educator, Mr. Bill Denham. 

Mr. Denham holds a Bachelor's from Northern Arizona University, and a Master's from Marshall University. He is is Veteran of the Arizona Army National Guard.

Bill teaches Spanish at Riverside High School of Kanawha County Schools, he is a father of 4, active in local politics, a published author, devoted partner, an award winning barbecue chef, 
and an exceptional friend. 

All of the resources we discuss today are found on his site, profedenham.com for free.

Dr. J: When it comes to virtual classrooms: as a high school Spanish teacher, what do you want parents to know and do? 


Profé Denham: I want parents to know that one of the best things their students can do to learn a second language is to read. I would also add that this is true of all levels of language learners, even the most novice of them. With proper scaffolding, such as providing vocabulary in context or reading materials with contextualized visuals, even novice readers can comprehend the reading. 


Luckily, in a virtual world language classroom, reading materials should be very easy to provide.


So, given that reading will be one of the most important things students can do to be successful in acquiring a second language, I need parents to make sure their students are engaging in the second language. They shouldn’t use translation sites or apps. They should try to interpret meaning from the reading. Reading leads to writing and writing leads to speaking. But reading is a powerful base for language learning.


Dr. J: What specific tools are you using to engage your students? 


Profé Denham: I use stories in all forms. I make up stories for my students on the fly or I read stories to them that I’ve written for them. Sometimes I read stories other students have created. I also use graded readers, which are books written for students learning Spanish. I’ve written 9 Spanish picture books. Seven of the books are a series about a super pig named Berta who always saves the day.


I love using infographics because they are an authentic resource. An authentic resource is something created by a native speaker for other native speakers. But because they are so visual, I can use them with all levels of Spanish students. I can use them with all students, from beginner to advanced, because I change what I want them to do with the infographic. For beginners, I might ask them to look for the Spanish word that corresponds to a number of English words or to write in English what the main idea of the infographic is. For advanced students, using the sam infographic, I might ask them who the target audience is and why they think that. 


I use social media a ton. Once a month, in the evening, I do a Spanish Twitter chat with my students. A Twitter chat is a conversation that revolves around a hashtag. I use the hashtag, #rhsspanchat. The questions the students and I are discussing are presented in Q1., Q2., etc and then their responses are presented as A1., A2., etc. 


I use Tweetdeck to schedule the instructions for the chat and all the questions in advance so I can focus on chatting with me students. A twitter chat is a pretty awesome way to get students engaged in different topics. For example, we were discussing fashion and I asked what they thought about school uniforms and why. Or, when discussing food, I asked if access to clean food should be considered a human right. The only rules of the chat are to be respectful and that the language come from them. No translators. Participation is not mandatory. I don't force students to use social media.


I make TikTok videos that teach quick Spanish lessons as well. Students love it and hopefully it helps them engage a little more.


Finally, I have my own website, profedenham.com. On my website I have over 40 Spanish grammar instructional videos, my picture books are available in Spanish, English and wordless as well as Teacher resources. Teacher resources are lessons I’ve used in the classroom that other Spanish teachers might like to try, such as the infographics with questions and other stories.


Dr. J: As a Dad, what are your hopes for your youngest, for his school experience? 


Profé Denham: I want him to love learning for the sake of learning. I want him to get that charge when he figures something out. As an educator, I’ve had two or three exceptionally gifted students that drew their success in school, not from grades, but from the actual learning. They would get so excited when they understood the Spanish grammar structure and they could put it to use correctly in conversation. That instance of joy on their faces as the dance for that split second. That’s the way I hope he learns to love learning.


I hope he learns team work, empathy and perseverance. I hope he learns that individuality, weirdness even, should be worn like a badge of honor. I hope he learns to be a problem solver. I hope he learns to recognize lies and deceit. I hope he develops the courage to call it out when he sees it.


Dr. J: What’s one thing you do that has made the most difference in helping students see their potential? 


Profé Denham: I removed textbooks and desks from my room. That changed everything. Before I removed the textbooks, I was always concerned with pacing, worried I wasn’t getting through enough of the material. 


Then, one day, I came to the realization that Spanish isn’t learned in a vacuum, that it can’t be scheduled. We recycle language over and over again, so why wasn’t I teaching these high frequency words right from the beginning so my students could understand stories and tell them as well. It took me a few years to free myself of the textbook units, but I’ve been textbook free for the last four years and they’ve been my best years teaching yet.


As for the desks, getting rid of them meant that there was no barrier between my students and I. I was sick of the phones under the desks and the arguments that ensued because of their lies that they weren’t on the phone. Deskless changed that completely. Now we have room for movement, for stations, for gallery walks. There are bean bags if students choose to use them for Free Voluntary Reading. I can quickly move to a student who is disengaged and help them become engaged. Getting rid of textbooks and desks helped reach all of my students, not just the good ones and I’m better for it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Panicdemic Data - We Can Open Schools

10/13/2020 UPDATE The Great Barrington Declaration . You probably haven't seen it since Google and Reddit shadow banned/censored and salted it with climate denial subterfuge. Bing for the win, since they played it straight. This science driven, thoughtful petition - initiated by highly recognized Harvard, Stanford, and Oxford epidemiologists - signed by 7,000 medical scientists and 15,000 medical practitioners.  Science is real, remember? Here's a key part:  " Current lockdown policies are producing devastating effects on short and long-term public health. The results (to name a few) include lower childhood vaccination rates, worsening cardiovascular disease outcomes, fewer cancer screenings and deteriorating mental health – leading to greater excess mortality in years to come, with the working class and younger members of society carrying the heaviest burden. Keeping students out of school is a grave injustice. Keeping these measures in place until a vaccine is availab

The Merits of Arizona's New Standardized Test - Principles of Principals

On November 3, 2014, behind the distractions of the mid-term elections; the Arizona State Board of Education approved the RFP from SAGE Testing Company for full implementation of the AzMERIT for Spring 2015. If you're a parent, student, or employed in education you need to know some things about this test. In it's entirety, the test is computer based.  Instead of asking your child to select the correct graph from a menu of choices, they will be asked to create a graphic representation on their own. Admittedly, it's a much DEEPER look into applied knowledge.   Utah took the test last school year with startling results .  Less than half tested proficient. Less than half . Either it's a distilled look at UT children's abilities, or the results are skewed by rapid implementation of new standards, new measures of accountability, and new testing protocols. Is Arizona ready? District's who were preparing, have had a minor shift in preparation towards th

1.5 Reasons to Take a Different Path - The Hippy-Cow Way

The Hippy-Cow Way I remember early in my career asking a question something like, "Why don't we try [insert idea here]?"  And the quick reply, "Because this is the way we've always done it." Wow. 2020 is teaching us that the way  we've always done things..does not work.  Yeah.  The age-old rut that can trap us all. Frustrating isn't it? As a child growing up in the Aspen Valley, I remember traveling many miles along Highway 82.  Glenwood to Carbondale, then to Basalt, and on to Aspen.  Two lanes most of the way, it was and is the main route connecting all of these Rocky  Mountain towns.  The drive can be breath-taking in the Fall. And most take this route because, well, it's the route we always take. It's familiar. Safe. Known. Well traveled. You get the idea. There are other ways to get where you're going. Roads less traveled that hold great sites and great reward. One of my favorites is the Hippy-Cow Way. Known only to our fam